Monday, May 25, 2009

sleeping with the sheep

hi friends!! so after we finally left michael ( our extremely hospitable\ talkative\lonely\ interesting host while in glücktadt) it was about 4 in the afternoon when we got on the road. we only rode 40 km by the time it was cold and getting dark. this part of northern germany is very rural...not many big towns\ not many campingplatz (german for campgrounds). town after town we were not having any luck. we decided to climb over the dike and see what the other side was like. it was a perfect camp site!(for those of you that think i'm talking climbing over a lesbian, look us dikes). it was private property and there was no one around except for the sheep on both sides of us, but they were gated in... well not at 7am they're not!!! the sheep were let out to graze the grass we had slept on. when i got out of my tent there were literally a good 400 or so sheep coming right at me. what a way to wake up!!! we've ridden 60km so far, and have another 40 to the town were we are going to sleep. oh and the weather is beautiful today! sunny and warm.

6 comments:

  1. You guys be careful out there with all those dikes qnd sheep :)
    Love Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carrie and John, glad you climbed over the dike and found a place to sleep untill the sheep came. I'm very glad I didn't have to worry about you (carrie) and dikes but how about John and the sheep? ONLY KIDDING. I'm sure your having a wonderful time no matter the weather. Keep smiling and enjoy all the people places and things you do and see! Miss yo be safe!! Fancy Pancy Pants

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John. It seems you are realy on the road. Good luck. No need to take a train so far ;-) Next week I will ride the 'Ronde van het Eindhovens Dagblad' again. I think this was your first and last bike training last year for your north sea trip. Hope your sister can push you when needed... I wish you all the luck you need, and have fun. I will follow you on this site.
    Don't forget to contact me whenever you are back, I still have a lot of suitcases at home ;-)
    GREETINGS
    Hans

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carrie, I'm enjoying reading along with the others about your adventures. Sounds amazing so far and you've met some friendly and helpful people too. I'll continue to follow along. Enjoy your ride and stay safe. Jean (aka Professor Barbre).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, my little cousins!! I'm so proud. You both are so amazingly adventurous. There's a mini-series TV show with Ewan McGregor that I want you to see when you get home. It's called Long Way Round and it's a show about Ewan and his best friend riding their motorcycles (BMWs) from London all through Europe, Russia, Mongolia, etc, ending in New York. I'm guessing you would both find it interesting and funny. He is a crack-up. Can't wait to see you back in the states this summer. Let's plan a family dinner so we can hear all about your trip. Love you guys, be safe and I will continue to enjoy the blog.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi John..So it wasn't a joke.. :) Or are you just writing the blog from a Starbucks in Hamburg and putting pictures from arround internet on your sites.. Hope for Hans you washed everything before putting your cloths in the suitcases.

    Take care and good luck! I must admit I am kind of jealous (?). Walter

    ReplyDelete